Surah Al-Mumtahana
(The Screening Test for Immigrants)
Chapter 60
It is 13 Verses 2 Units (Ruku’): Revealed at Madinah
In the Name of Allah, the Most Compassionate, the Most Merciful
1. O you who believe (in Allah and His last Messenger Muhammad)! Do not take My enemy and your enemy (the people who deliberately reject Allah’s Messages) for intimates (and confidants), showing them affection while they deny what has come to you of the Truth, driving out the Messenger (of Allah) and yourselves because you believe in Allah, your Lord (Creator, Sustainer, and Ruler)? If you go forth striving hard in My Path and seeking My Pleasure, would you confide to them affection (i.e., instruction)? And I (Allah) know what you conceal and what you make known; and whoever of you does this, he indeed has gone astray from the straight Path.
2. If they gain dominance over you, they will be your enemies, and will stretch forth toward you their hands and their tongues with evil, and they wish that you (too) may disbelieve.
3. Your relatives would not benefit you, nor your children on the Day of Resurrection; He will judge between you; for Allah sees what you do.
4. Indeed, there is for you a good example in Abraham and those with him when they said to their people: Indeed, we are free from you and from what you worship besides Allah. We have denied you, animosity and hatred have appeared between us and you, forever - until you believe in Allah alone.
Except for the saying of Abraham to his father: I will certainly ask Forgiveness for you, but I do not have power (to do) for you anything against Allah (God), (O Allah) our Lord! On You (alone) do we rely, and to You (alone) do we turn (in repentance and obedience), and to You is the final Return.
5. (O Allah) our Lord! Do not make us a trial for those who disbelieve (such as they who have the upper hand over us and cause us torment and trouble), but forgive us, (O Allah) our Lord! Surely You are the All-Mighty, the Truly Wise.
6. Certainly there is for you in them (Abraham and those who followed him) a good example, for him who looks forward (with Hope and Awe) to Allah (God) and the Last Day. And whoever turns back, then surely Allah is the Self-Sufficient, Worthy of all praise.
7. It may be that Allah will bring about mutual affection between you and those whom you hold to be your enemies among them; and Allah is Powerful; and Allah is Most Forgiving, Most Merciful.
8. Allah (God) does not forbid you from honorable relationships with those (disbelievers) who do not fight against you because of (your) religion, and do not expel you from your homes, that you show them kindness and deal with them justly; surely Allah loves those who deal with justice.
9. Allah (God) only forbids you from those (disbelievers) who fight you because of (your) religion, or expel you from your homes or support (others) in your expulsion, that you take them for intimates (and confidants), and whoever takes them for intimates (and confidants), then such are workers of iniquity (the lawbreakers).
10. O you who believe (in Allah and His last Messenger Muhammad)! When believing women come to you as emigrants, then examine them; Allah knows best their faith; then if you find them to be believing women, do not send them back to the disbelievers, neither are these (women) lawful for them, nor are those (men) lawful for them, and give them what they have spent (on their wives by way of dowry); and no blame is on you in marrying them when you give them their dowries; and hold not to the ties of marriage to disbelieving women, and ask for what you have spent (by way of dower), and let them ask for what they have spent (by way of dower). This is Allah’s Judgment; He judges between you, and Allah is All-Knowing, Truly Wise.
11. And if any of your wives have left you to the disbelievers, and afterward you have your turn (of triumph), then give to those whose wives have gone away the like of what they have spent (on their dower), and be careful of (your duty to) Allah in Whom you believe.
12. O Prophet (Muhammad)! When believing women come to you giving you a pledge that they will not associate anything with Allah (God), and will not steal, and will not commit unlawful sexual intercourse and will not kill their children, and will not lie or utter slander, intentionally forging falsehood between their limbs (i.e., to falsely attribute a child whether adopted or born of adultery to a woman’s husband). And that they will not disobey you in what is good, accept their pledge, and ask Forgiveness for them from Allah (God); surely Allah is Most Forgiving, Most Merciful.
13. O you who believe (in Allah and His last Messenger Muhammad)! Do not take for allies (and confidants) a people whom have earned the Wrath of Allah. They (the unbelieving Jews) have despaired of (reward in) the Hereafter just as the disbelievers (the polytheists) have despaired of (meeting) the inhabitants of the graves.