Al-Qābid - Al-Bāsit
The Holder - The Expander
He is the One Who holds the souls and withholds provisions from whomever He wills in accordance to His wisdom and power; and He is the One Who expands sustenance for His servants according to His generosity and mercy, testing them thereby, as per His wisdom. And He is the One Who stretches His hand with forgiveness to those who sin and repent.

These two noble names do not occur in the Qur’an, but in a Hadīth reporting that the people said, “O Messenger of Allah, prices have gone up. So, fix the prices for us.” He said, “Indeed, Allah is the One Who fixes prices, the Holder, the Expander, and the Provider. Indeed, I wish to meet Allah while none of you will have any claim against me for injustice regarding blood or property.”49

In light of these two great names, I would say:
1. ‘The Holder’ and ‘the Expander’ are two names that should not be separated, for absolute perfection materializes when the two traits are combined. So, we should praise Allah Almighty for the two attributes together.
49 Narrated by Al-Tirmidhi and Abu Dāwūd)
2. We should rely upon Allah Almighty, entrust our affairs to Him and hope for what He has, for none can restrict what Allah expands or expand what Allah restricts. These issues are not controlled by creatures. They only proceed according to Allah’s plan. Therefore, we should feel reassured and be at peace.

3. When Allah Almighty restricts or expands something, this stems from His wisdom, knowledge, and mercy. So, be content with what Allah had predestined for you.

4. Know that the best expanse Allah Almighty may give to any of His servants is to expand his heart and make it inclined to belief and goodness. (Is one whose breast Allah has expanded to Islam and he is upon a light from his Lord (like one whose heart rejects it)?) (Sūrat AlZumar: 22)

5. Ask Allah Almighty to expand what gives you happiness in worldly life and in the Hereafter including lawful sustenance, good health and safety, useful knowledge, and faith that fills your heart.

6. Bear in mind that when Allah Almighty expands the provision of any person, this does not necessarily mean that He is pleased with him. Likewise, when He restricts the provision for any person, He is not necessarily displeased with Him. Rather, Allah Almighty afflicts His servants with prosperity and adversity.
Those with whom He is pleased are the people He guides to faith, righteous deeds, patience and gratitude. In the Qur’an, He says, (Then, as for man, just when his Lord tries him, so He honors him, and showers His favors on him, then he says, “My Lord has honored me.” But when He tries him and restricts his provision, he says, “My Lord has humiliated me.”) (Sūrat Al-Fajr: 15-16)

7. In order to have your sustenance expanded, heed this Hadīth in which the Prophet (may Allah’s peace and blessings be upon him) said, “Whoever loves to have his sustenance expanded and his term of life prolonged should maintain ties of kinship.”50

And also mark these words in the Qudsi Hadīth, “Spend, O son of Adam, and I will spend on you.”51 So, stretch your hands with goodness and giving for the sake of your Lord and expect a great result.
50 Narrated by Al-Bukhāri and Muslim)
51 Narrated by Al-Bukhāri and Muslim)